When it’s time to replace a missing tooth, many patients choose a dental bridge for a secure, reliable solution. This conservative, restorative dentistry treatment eliminates the hole in your smile and delivers a repair that both looks and feels natural. Dental bridges are available from the experienced dental team at Downtown Dental in Los Angeles.
What Is a Dental Bridge?
A dental bridge is aptly named because it creates a bridge between two teeth to fill the space left by a missing tooth. Here’s how it works:
- The teeth on either side of the gap are filed down and shaped to accommodate the bridge.
- The bridge is clasped to these nearby, treated teeth.
- The bridge supports a false tooth in the middle to fill the hole.
- Porcelain crowns are bonded to the neighboring teeth to anchor the bridge in place for a secure dental restoration.
For a dental bridge to be a viable solution, the teeth surrounding the space in your smile must be healthy so they can serve as a concrete foundation for the restoration. Once in place, the bridge is a stable solution that prevents the wear of surrounding teeth and maintains the integrity of your smile.
Your budget, preferences, and your dentist’s recommendations all influence the materials of which your bridge is made. Usually, the choices include porcelain fused to ceramic or porcelain fused to metal. No matter which option is used, the results will be a strong, customized dental solution that completes your smile.
The location of your missing tooth will also impact whether you are a good candidate for a dental bridge. Depending on the circumstances, other restorations may need to be considered, like dental implants.
The Importance of Replacing Missing Teeth
It can be tempting to ignore the space left behind by a missing tooth, especially if it is a molar and not all that noticeable when you smile. However, this is a risky decision – every tooth in your mouth has an important job to do, including helping you bite, chew, and speak.
If you do not replace a missing tooth, you can develop any of the following problems:
- Floating teeth: Over time, teeth on either side of a missing tooth will float and shift to fill the space it left behind. This can cause tissue damage, misalignment, and gaps.
- Altered face shape: Each tooth is a placeholder in your smile that both supports and stimulates the jawbone. A missing tooth can affect the shape of your face and make you look older and lead to a compressed look.
- Difficulty eating: When you eat, food will settle in the open area of your mouth, and the hole will also affect how you bite and chew.
- Poor speech: If a missing tooth is prominent, your articulation and diction will be affected, which will make the tooth’s absence that much more noticeable.
Get a Dental Bridge in Los Angeles
You want to smile, speak, bite, and chew with confidence again. A dental bridge can deliver on all these wishes and, with proper care, last for decades and keep your smile complete and beautiful. The only question you need to answer is whether a dental bridge is right for you. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Mungcal and his team at Downtown Dental
in Los Angeles to learn more.
As the cornerstone and founder of Downtown Dental, Dr. Don Mungcal
is a proactive and exceptionally talented dentist who is determined to contribute to the health and wellbeing of his community by attending to their dental care needs.
With over 28 years of experience and service, Dr. Mungcal makes it his responsibility to be the best version of himself by being his patients’ go-to point for any and all dental concerns. In addition to being meticulous in his work ethic, he is also an individual who understands development and change. He updates and informs himself constantly through various continuous educational programs that he undertakes. He also invests in the latest state-of-the-art technology to provide world-class dental services.
Dr. Mungcal graduated from UCLA and the University of the Pacific Dental School and is presently a member of several acclaimed medical associations, including the California Dental Society.
Dr. Elizabeth Loftus
is a qualified dentist from Sacramento who truly loves the art of dentistry and helping people with their oral health and dental needs. She pursued her higher education at USC, where her initial area of focus was biomedical engineering.
However, after an internship undertaken at a dental office, she came to the realization that dentistry was her true calling, and then onwards dedicated her time and energy to serving dental care patients to the best of her ability.
She is an advocate for positive dental experiences for her patients and making sure they always are relaxed and calm whenever they undergo dental procedures.