Professional teeth cleanings are so much more than just the dental hygienist removing six months of build-up on your tooth enamel. These critical dental visits involve multiple important levels of preventive dental care. At Downtown Dental in Los Angeles, we are focused on helping our patients establish and maintain excellent oral health during and in between every teeth cleaning.
What Happens During a Teeth Cleaning
Teeth cleanings are the foundation of a strong smile, and there are many things that go on during these appointments, including:
- Teeth cleaning: Your dental hygienist will remove built-up tartar, plaque, and bacteria from your teeth and then floss and polish them until they gleam. The hygienist’s tools reach all the areas your toothbrush cannot so your teeth are fully clean and shining.
- Dental exam: Your Los Angeles dentist will check your teeth for decay, gum recession, signs of gum disease, and any other potential oral health problems. This review of your teeth and gums helps identify problems early before they become painful or costly complications.
- Digital x-rays: Depending on your dental insurance plan and oral health needs, you will have digital x-rays taken so your dentist can get a closer look at what’s going on below the surface of your teeth and inside of them.
- Oral cancer screening: During this brief but critical exam, your dentist will check all the soft tissues in your mouth for early signs of oral cancer. This disease is not easily noticed by the untrained eye but when caught early by your dentist it is highly treatable and can be life-saving.
- Consultation: You have an audience with your dentist and hygienist at every teeth cleaning. Use this valuable time to your advantage to ask any questions you have about cosmetic dentistry, areas of concern, or recommendations they might have for your oral health.
The Importance of Professional Teeth Cleanings
Even if you take excellent care of your teeth and gums at home by brushing twice a day and flossing daily, this isn’t enough to keep your teeth free from decay and other problems. Seeing your Los Angeles dentist every six months for a professional teeth cleaning is a critical part of dental care for many reasons:
- You can’t reach every bit of your mouth. You may be incredibly thorough and dedicated to your daily oral health care routine, but your tools and reach simply aren’t as complete as a hygienist’s. Nothing can substitute for the tools and view of a dental professional. It takes 24-48 hours for unremoved plaque to become so solid that you can no longer remove it with a toothbrush or floss. There’s only so much you can do at home!
- Things are happening that you’ll never notice. Regular teeth cleanings (frequency determined by your hygienist) are preventive care for a variety of reasons. Not only do these visits keep teeth clean, they give your dentist the opportunity to notice developing problems or those lurking under the surface, from early signs of gum disease to gum recession, hairline cracks to areas of decay.
- You keep your options open. When you maintain the good health of your teeth and gums, you give yourself the room to always make a cosmetic upgrade along the way. If you’re thinking of a smile makeover involving porcelain veneers or teeth whitening, your teeth need to be strong and healthy first and regular teeth cleanings make this possible.
Schedule a Teeth Cleaning at Downtown Dental
At Downtown Dental in Los Angeles, we use the most advanced dental equipment and technology to clean and maintain the health of our patients’ smiles. It is our goal to make you feel comfortable at our practice so you will look forward to every visit. Together, we are a team who are focused on helping you have healthy teeth and gums for a lifetime.
Contact us today to schedule a teeth cleaning for you or a member of your family.
With over 28 years of experience and service, Dr. Mungcal makes it his responsibility to be the best version of himself by being his patients’ go-to point for any and all dental concerns. In addition to being meticulous in his work ethic, he is also an individual who understands development and change. He updates and informs himself constantly through various continuous educational programs that he undertakes. He also invests in the latest state-of-the-art technology to provide world-class dental services.
Dr. Mungcal graduated from UCLA and the University of the Pacific Dental School and is presently a member of several acclaimed medical associations, including the California Dental Society.
Dr. Tara Mavadat was always passionate about dentistry and is committed to helping patients achieve excellent oral health and beautiful smiles that last long. Having earned her Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from the University of the Pacific Dugoni School of Dentistry, she focuses on comprehensive general dentistry with an emphasis on preventive dentistry. Her primary goals are to provide comfort and quality as well as exceptional esthetic outcomes to every patient.