Composite tooth-colored fillings are a versatile dental treatment that can both correct and beautify a smile. At Downtown Dental in Los Angeles, CA, we use fillings to address a variety of oral health problems, completely restoring smiles so they are healthy, strong, and look great.
Problems Fixed by Composite Fillings
Most people think of fillings as a solution for cavities only, but tooth-colored fillings are used for much more than just repairing tooth decay, including:
- Stopping deterioration
- Correcting chips
- Covering cracks
- Concealing stains
- Minimizing discoloration
- Filling gaps
- Restoring misshapen teeth
Fillings are powerful restorations and they easily withstand chewing force. Having a tooth treated with a filling not only fixes the existing problem, it helps prevent additional complications from developing. The composite that tooth-colored fillings are made of is a stabilizing material that both strengthens and protects a treated tooth. And, of course, white fillings blend into the rest of your teeth so they’re hardly noticeable.
How Tooth-Colored Fillings Are Applied
Fillings are a routine general dentistry treatment, whether they’re being used to fix decay or a pesky stain. Here is how the procedure usually goes:
- Preparation: The area in question is fully numbed so there is no discomfort experienced.
- Cleaning: The decayed tissue is removed from the problem tooth and the whole area is cleaned thoroughly
- Filling: The composite material is carefully applied to the tooth in layers and hardened in placed with a special light. This step is repeated multiple times until the filling is applied in the right thickness and height and blends in flawlessly with neighboring teeth.
- Completion: The filling is carefully shaped to match next-door teeth and it is also polished so it looks and feels natural.
If you take good care of your teeth by brushing twice a day, flossing at least once daily, and visiting your Los Angeles dentist for regular checkups every six months, your filling can last for decades.
Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
When you have a cavity, it’s essential to get the problem tended to as soon as possible. Most of the time your dentist will discover an area of decay during a dental visit, but you are unlikely to notice anything untoward on your own. You do know, however, when you have tooth pain, and seeing your dentist immediately to have this tended to will save you from more invasive dental restorations. Plus, you’ll get all the following benefits of having a filling:
- Natural-looking repair: Most people want a dental restoration that blends in instead of standing out. Tooth-colored fillings are shaded to match the unique color of your tooth enamel.
- Durable restoration: Because composite fillings bond directly to the tooth, this repair makes the tooth stronger and offers incredible support, preventing cracks and sealing the tooth from other invasions.
- Structurally sound: Tooth-colored fillings do not compromise the structure of a tooth but rather reinforce it, which means the tooth will be sturdy for easy biting, chewing, and speaking.
- Safe and healthy: Composite fillings are an improvement over amalgam fillings which used to be the norm. But silver fillings threaten tooth structure and are unsafe for a person’s overall health.
Get Tooth-Colored Fillings in Los Angeles
Tooth-colored fillings are available as composite fillings, porcelain fillings, or customized inlays and onlays. The only way to know what’s going on with your oral health and whether a filling can correct the problem is to visit your dental team at Downtown Dental in Los Angeles and undergo a thorough dental exam and get a diagnosis.
We want you to have healthy, beautiful teeth. For many cases, tooth-colored fillings are the path to a strong smile. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.
Dr. Don Mungcal
Dr. Tara Mavadat
Dr. Ivan Chan
With over 28 years of experience and service, Dr. Mungcal makes it his responsibility to be the best version of himself by being his patients’ go-to point for any and all dental concerns. In addition to being meticulous in his work ethic, he is also an individual who understands development and change. He updates and informs himself constantly through various continuous educational programs that he undertakes. He also invests in the latest state-of-the-art technology to provide world-class dental services.
Dr. Mungcal graduated from UCLA and the University of the Pacific Dental School and is presently a member of several acclaimed medical associations, including the California Dental Society.
Dr. Tara Mavadat was always passionate about dentistry and is committed to helping patients achieve excellent oral health and beautiful smiles that last long. Having earned her Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from the University of the Pacific Dugoni School of Dentistry, she focuses on comprehensive general dentistry with an emphasis on preventive dentistry. Her primary goals are to provide comfort and quality as well as exceptional esthetic outcomes to every patient.
Dr. Ivan Chan is enthusiastic about dentistry and his patients' oral health and is dedicated to providing compassionate and effective care. He is a highly skilled dentist who received his undergraduate degree from the University of California, San Diego. He earned his Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) at the University of California, San Francisco School of Dentistry.
Dr. Chan has extensive training in general dentistry. He focuses on creating lasting smiles while attempting to prevent gum disease and cavities. He looks forward to assisting you with all your needs while assuring you that your trust is always in good hands, regardless of your needs!