Dental crowns are one of the most versatile dental procedures available. Both cosmetic and restorative in nature, this durable and long-lasting treatment can fix teeth and make them look better at the same time. At Downtown Dental in Los Angeles, we use natural-looking dental crowns to repair, correct, conceal, and upgrade our patients’ smiles.
Problems Dental Crowns can Fix
Because dental crowns have so many uses, your Los Angeles dentist may recommend this restoration for a variety of oral health concerns.
- Weak tooth: A cracked, broken, or deteriorating tooth is weak and susceptible to even further problems without the protection of a crown.
- Infected tooth: When you have undergone root canal therapy, the treated tooth needs to be covered with a crown for additional protection.
- Damaged tooth: If a tooth is chipped, cracked, or fractured, a crown protects it from bacteria and food particles.
- Misshapen tooth: When you’re living with an unsightly tooth that interrupts your smile, a porcelain crown can make it match its neighbors.
- Stained tooth: A pesky tooth that doesn’t respond to whitening can be transformed with a customized, color-matched crown.
- Decayed tooth: When a cavity is so large that there isn’t enough enamel remaining to support a tooth-colored filling, a crown gets the job done.
- Missing tooth: When you opt to get a dental bridge to replace a missing tooth, porcelain crowns are used as part of this solution, anchoring the bridge in place. Crowns can also be affixed to dental implants or partial dentures.
- Fragile tooth: Teeth that are become repeatedly decayed or show other signs of fragility can be repaired with a strong, customized crown.
As a bonus, any tooth that is treated with a crown automatically makes nearby teeth stronger, protecting them from developing their own damage or complications.
The Dental Crown Procedure
Once the tooth in question has been treated for decay, infection, or other problems, the crown procedure will begin. This treatment usually takes two visits to your Los Angeles restorative dentist. The first appointment is a prep and planning visit, getting your tooth ready to receive the crown and customizing the crown in shape, size, and color so it can be built to look just like a natural tooth.
Depending on your preferences, budget, and dentist’s preferred materials, crowns can be made from all porcelain, porcelain-fused-to-metal, ceramic zirconia, or metal. Crowns are created in a dental lab and, typically, a temporary crown is put in place to protect the area and prevent you from feeling self-conscious about this flaw in your smile until the crown is ready. Once the crown is available, it will be permanently bonded to your damaged tooth and tested for fit, comfort, and so it looks just right and blends in with the rest of your smile.
Get a Dental Crown in Los Angeles
Whether you’re getting a crown to fix a problem tooth or cover up an ugly tooth, the result is the same – a strong, natural-looking repair. Dental crowns are a conservative dental restoration and minimally invasive, but they deliver on so many levels, making a tooth stronger, more robust, and returning it to its original form (or the form it should always have been).
When tooth structure is compromised in any way, whether from damage, trauma, or extensive decay, a crown corrects, conceals, and protects. Dental crowns are designed to look, feel, and function just like natural teeth and do not require any special care. Once the crown is in place, you simply brush and floss as normal and see your dentist regularly for teeth cleanings and dental exams.
If damaged or flawed teeth are keeping you from feeling great about your smile, contact Downtown Dental and find out whether a porcelain dental crown is the right dental restoration for your oral health. Contact us today to schedule your consultation.
Dr. Don Mungcal
Dr. Tara Mavadat
Dr. Ivan Chan
With over 28 years of experience and service, Dr. Mungcal makes it his responsibility to be the best version of himself by being his patients’ go-to point for any and all dental concerns. In addition to being meticulous in his work ethic, he is also an individual who understands development and change. He updates and informs himself constantly through various continuous educational programs that he undertakes. He also invests in the latest state-of-the-art technology to provide world-class dental services.
Dr. Mungcal graduated from UCLA and the University of the Pacific Dental School and is presently a member of several acclaimed medical associations, including the California Dental Society.
Dr. Tara Mavadat was always passionate about dentistry and is committed to helping patients achieve excellent oral health and beautiful smiles that last long. Having earned her Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from the University of the Pacific Dugoni School of Dentistry, she focuses on comprehensive general dentistry with an emphasis on preventive dentistry. Her primary goals are to provide comfort and quality as well as exceptional esthetic outcomes to every patient.
Dr. Ivan Chan is enthusiastic about dentistry and his patients' oral health and is dedicated to providing compassionate and effective care. He is a highly skilled dentist who received his undergraduate degree from the University of California, San Diego. He earned his Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) at the University of California, San Francisco School of Dentistry.
Dr. Chan has extensive training in general dentistry. He focuses on creating lasting smiles while attempting to prevent gum disease and cavities. He looks forward to assisting you with all your needs while assuring you that your trust is always in good hands, regardless of your needs!