No one wants a cavity. They are inconvenient, often painful, and do not go away on their own. If you follow a careful cavity prevention routine, you are far less likely to find yourself dealing with tooth decay. Find out what you can do to keep your teeth healthy with help from Downtown Dental in Los Angeles, CA.
The Basics of Cavity Prevention
There are several steps a person can take to prevent the development of cavities, and none of them take much time or effort. Stay dedicated to the following and you can stay far away from the dental drill and tooth-colored fillings:
- Maintain at-home oral hygiene: All you need to do to keep your teeth clean at home is tend to them at least twice a day. Brushing and flossing more often certainly isn’t discouraged, but if you brush in the morning and brush and floss at night, you can keep your smile healthy using the most basic tools and only a few minutes of your day.
- Keep all regular dental visits: Professional teeth cleanings and dental checkups are recommended every six months. During this visit, the dental hygienist will carefully clean your teeth, including the hard-to-reach places that your toothbrush often misses. Teeth will be polished and flossed and your dentist will conduct a thorough examination to look for potential problem areas. Any suspicious spots or small cavities can be scheduled for repair before they become bigger problems.
- Minimize sugary foods and beverages: What you put in your body affects your oral health. It may seem like sipping on soda, coffee, or an energizing drink might be good for your stamina and productivity, but these habits do nothing good for your teeth. Drinks like this linger as a sugar bath that eats away at tooth enamel if you don’t brush right after you ingest them.
- Drink water: Water is not the same as brushing your teeth or avoiding sugary foods, however, when you’re pressed for time and don’t have any other way to clean your teeth, drinking a glass of water can help prevent cavities. Cleaning off your teeth even a little bit is better than allowing any food or drink to fester.
Extra Preventive Measures to Ward Off Cavities
Some people are prone to developing cavities, and no matter how dedicated they are to an oral healthcare routine at home and visiting their dentist, they still find themselves sprouting tooth decay. There are extra preventive measures you can take to ward off cavities:
- Sealants: Often recommended for children and their developing teeth to prevent cavities on the chewing surface of a tooth, sealants can also be a solution for cavity-prone adults. Ask your Los Angeles dentist whether you qualify.
- Fluoride treatments: Fluoride treatments are also typically reserved for kids, but topical fluoride applications can be an extremely beneficial cavity prevention for adults who have a moderate to high risk of developing cavities.
- Regular x-rays: Not every insurance plan allows for annual x-rays, some even recommend several years in between digital images. Anyone who experiences regular tooth decay would be wise to invest in at least yearly x-rays to address any problems developing under the surface.
Professional Cavity Prevention in Los Angeles
Thin tooth enamel is one of the biggest causes of tooth decay, but you can’t help what heredity decided to dish out. All you can do is take the best possible care of your teeth and get support and suggestions from your experienced Los Angeles dentist at Downtown Dental. Schedule your teeth cleaning or consultation today.
Dr. Don Mungcal
Dr. Tara Mavadat
Dr. Ivan Chan
With over 28 years of experience and service, Dr. Mungcal makes it his responsibility to be the best version of himself by being his patients’ go-to point for any and all dental concerns. In addition to being meticulous in his work ethic, he is also an individual who understands development and change. He updates and informs himself constantly through various continuous educational programs that he undertakes. He also invests in the latest state-of-the-art technology to provide world-class dental services.
Dr. Mungcal graduated from UCLA and the University of the Pacific Dental School and is presently a member of several acclaimed medical associations, including the California Dental Society.
Dr. Tara Mavadat was always passionate about dentistry and is committed to helping patients achieve excellent oral health and beautiful smiles that last long. Having earned her Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from the University of the Pacific Dugoni School of Dentistry, she focuses on comprehensive general dentistry with an emphasis on preventive dentistry. Her primary goals are to provide comfort and quality as well as exceptional esthetic outcomes to every patient.
Dr. Ivan Chan is enthusiastic about dentistry and his patients' oral health and is dedicated to providing compassionate and effective care. He is a highly skilled dentist who received his undergraduate degree from the University of California, San Diego. He earned his Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) at the University of California, San Francisco School of Dentistry.
Dr. Chan has extensive training in general dentistry. He focuses on creating lasting smiles while attempting to prevent gum disease and cavities. He looks forward to assisting you with all your needs while assuring you that your trust is always in good hands, regardless of your needs!