If you experience severe tooth pain, you might be suffering from a tooth infection known as an abscess. This dental problem will not go away on its own – in fact, it will only worsen without professional care. At Downtown Dental in Los Angeles, CA, Dr. Don Mungcal and his dental team are prepared to manage your dental emergency quickly and gently to free you from pain and restore your oral health.
Common Signs of a Tooth Infection
Sometimes, you can bite down on a certain food at a certain temperature and it sends a shockwave of pain through your mouth. This might be a one-time occurrence, but if the discomfort continues it could be the sign of a bigger problem. You could have a serious tooth infection if any of the following symptoms occur at any time:
- Severe pain while chewing
- Ongoing sensitivity to heat or cold
- Extreme pain when putting pressure on the tooth
- Tooth or gum discoloration
- Tender or swollen gums
If you have acute or lingering tooth pain, contact your Los Angeles emergency dentist for an appointment and treatment. Severe tooth decay can damage the pulp of your tooth along with the enamel, and these conditions cannot go untreated.
Symptoms of a Dental Abscess
Untreated tooth decay can turn into a dental abscess. When foreign particles make their way into a tooth through a cavity or deteriorating dental work, they keep digging their way inside to wreak havoc deep within. Here is what you need to know about a tooth infection:
- A dental abscess begins in the tooth pulp and travels to its root.
- Bacteria causes an abscess and makes the tooth infection multiply and travel.
- A swollen, pus-filled area – the abscess – forms along the gumline into a red, noticeable bump.
- Should the bacteria-filled abscess rupture, the infection will enter your system and threaten your overall well-being by spreading to the jaw, neck, or head.
- Early physical symptoms of an abscess are fever, chills, sensitivity, or bad breath.
Emergency Dentistry for Tooth Infections
If the dental problem you are suffering from is a tooth abscess, your dentist will drain the abscess and provide a course of antibiotics so your mouth can heal. Then, the damage can be corrected. Dental treatments for an abscess or infection might include:
- Root canal therapy: The bacteria is cleaned out of the tooth roots and the canals are filled to prevent further infection. The tooth is capped with a dental crown to protect it from future danger.
- Tooth-colored filling: Small- to medium-sized tooth decay can typically be corrected with a tooth-colored filling that looks natural.
- Tooth extraction: If a tooth is too compromised to fix and the pain is too great, your dentist’s last resort will be a tooth extraction.
Get Emergency Dentistry in Los Angeles for an Infected Tooth Root
Every tooth is its own little system and contains a delicate combination of nerves, soft tissues, and blood vessels. This combination makes up the dental pulp of each tooth. If a tooth is compromised and the enamel is breached, bacteria can make its way into the depths of your tooth and cause a tooth infection. You don’t have to suffer with this pain and discomfort.
Your mouth tells you when something is wrong, so don’t avoid the dentist because you fear the diagnosis and treatment. Getting dental care right away stops the problem from growing and developing into an even more serious condition. Contact Downtown Dental in Los Angeles right away for an emergency dental appointment.
Dr. Don Mungcal
Dr. Tara Mavadat
Dr. Ivan Chan
With over 28 years of experience and service, Dr. Mungcal makes it his responsibility to be the best version of himself by being his patients’ go-to point for any and all dental concerns. In addition to being meticulous in his work ethic, he is also an individual who understands development and change. He updates and informs himself constantly through various continuous educational programs that he undertakes. He also invests in the latest state-of-the-art technology to provide world-class dental services.
Dr. Mungcal graduated from UCLA and the University of the Pacific Dental School and is presently a member of several acclaimed medical associations, including the California Dental Society.
Dr. Tara Mavadat was always passionate about dentistry and is committed to helping patients achieve excellent oral health and beautiful smiles that last long. Having earned her Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from the University of the Pacific Dugoni School of Dentistry, she focuses on comprehensive general dentistry with an emphasis on preventive dentistry. Her primary goals are to provide comfort and quality as well as exceptional esthetic outcomes to every patient.
Dr. Ivan Chan is enthusiastic about dentistry and his patients' oral health and is dedicated to providing compassionate and effective care. He is a highly skilled dentist who received his undergraduate degree from the University of California, San Diego. He earned his Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) at the University of California, San Francisco School of Dentistry.
Dr. Chan has extensive training in general dentistry. He focuses on creating lasting smiles while attempting to prevent gum disease and cavities. He looks forward to assisting you with all your needs while assuring you that your trust is always in good hands, regardless of your needs!