Nearly eight in 10 American adults suffer from a form of gum disease, from the early stages of gingivitis to advanced periodontitis. This condition can be easily overlooked at first, but without gum disease treatment will continue to develop into a serious oral health complication that leads to pain, discomfort, and tooth loss. At Downtown Dental in Los Angeles, Dr. Mungcal and his team deliver gentle patient care, no matter what condition your teeth and gums are in.
Diagnosing Gum Disease
It will only take your Los Angeles dentist moments to diagnose the presence of gum disease, but you will still receive a thorough dental examination from the dentist and hygienist. While early symptoms like redness and swelling may not be noticeable to you, they are very clear to a trained professional. And gum disease beyond the gingivitis stage is obvious with the havoc it wreaks throughout the mouth and the pain it causes.
Here are the most important facts you need to know:
- All gum disease is treatable, but it must be treated by an experienced dentist.
- Gum disease is not a problem you can clean up on your own or brush and floss hard enough to erase.
- Once the stage of your condition is determined, your dentist will let you know what kind of gum disease treatment is best to fix the problem.
- Another diagnostic tool we use is called, ‘perio charting’ which measures the space between teeth and the gums around the teeth. These measurements are used to determine the presence of active gum disease.
Types of Gum Disease Treatment
There are several types of gum disease treatment available from your Los Angeles periodontist, including the following:
- Scaling and root planing: This kind of dental therapy is a frontline treatment for attacking early gum disease. Through this deep cleaning, plaque is removed from below the gum line to stop bacterial colonization. Both manual and laser therapy methods may be used to carry out this common and reliable treatment as comfortably as possible.
- State-of-the-art laser treatment: Periodontal laser therapy is used when gum disease is so advanced it requires surgical intervention to prevent tooth loss. Laser technology is a sophisticated, effective, minimally invasive way to address the bacteria causing the gum disease. Using this method results in less bleeding and swelling and allows for a faster recovery.
- Antibiotic therapy: The bacteria of gum disease causes an infection, and antibiotics attack infections. Some gum disease cases may require antibiotic therapy to assist in the restoration of optimal gum health, along with other hands-on treatment.
- Perio Protect Method®: Once gum disease treatment has been completed, the Perio Protect Method is used to establish and maintain a robust oral hygiene maintenance plan and keep gum disease at bay permanently. This customized tray holds a solution that keeps your mouth clean and fresh and is worn at home as a minimally invasive method for gum disease treatment.
The Importance of Immediate Gum Disease Treatment
We understand that many patients are embarrassed to visit the dentist when their mouth is infected, but we are accustomed to seeing teeth and gums in all states of disrepair. It’s our job to help you feel better, look better, and be healthier.
Beyond gum disease treatment, our team educates our patients on how to properly care for their oral health. There are many oral hygiene products on the market – sometimes it isn’t easy to determine what’s best for your oral health. From electric toothbrushes to flossers to toothpaste, every method is geared toward keeping your teeth and gums clean and healthy – we help identify what’s right for you.
If you suspect you have gum disease, contact Downtown Dental and schedule an appointment with Dr. Mungcal and his team in our Los Angeles dental office.
Dr. Don Mungcal
Dr. Tara Mavadat
Dr. Ivan Chan
With over 28 years of experience and service, Dr. Mungcal makes it his responsibility to be the best version of himself by being his patients’ go-to point for any and all dental concerns. In addition to being meticulous in his work ethic, he is also an individual who understands development and change. He updates and informs himself constantly through various continuous educational programs that he undertakes. He also invests in the latest state-of-the-art technology to provide world-class dental services.
Dr. Mungcal graduated from UCLA and the University of the Pacific Dental School and is presently a member of several acclaimed medical associations, including the California Dental Society.
Dr. Tara Mavadat was always passionate about dentistry and is committed to helping patients achieve excellent oral health and beautiful smiles that last long. Having earned her Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from the University of the Pacific Dugoni School of Dentistry, she focuses on comprehensive general dentistry with an emphasis on preventive dentistry. Her primary goals are to provide comfort and quality as well as exceptional esthetic outcomes to every patient.
Dr. Ivan Chan is enthusiastic about dentistry and his patients' oral health and is dedicated to providing compassionate and effective care. He is a highly skilled dentist who received his undergraduate degree from the University of California, San Diego. He earned his Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) at the University of California, San Francisco School of Dentistry.
Dr. Chan has extensive training in general dentistry. He focuses on creating lasting smiles while attempting to prevent gum disease and cavities. He looks forward to assisting you with all your needs while assuring you that your trust is always in good hands, regardless of your needs!