One of the great things about clear braces is how straightforward and simple they are. Though the treatment itself is sophisticated and innovative, the rules of wear are easy to remember and follow. Invisalign 101 is your “class” on learning how to discreetly get an aligned smile from Downtown Dental, the experienced dental team and certified Invisalign providers in Los Angeles, CA.
Invisalign 101: How the Treatment Works
Invisalign is customized to each patient, but the way the treatment works and the rules that must be followed are the same for everyone. Here is what to expect:
- Daily: Invisalign must be worn for 20 to 22 hours a day to be effective. Trays are only removed for meals, snacks, and cleanings, ideally for no more than four hours total every day.
- Weekly: Every set of trays is worn for about two weeks before being switched out for the next set of aligners. This allows different teeth to be targeted at different times so they can be consistently and gently moved into alignment.
- Every 6 to 8 weeks: You will visit your Los Angeles Invisalign provider every six to eight weeks so the progress of your treatment can be checked and so you can collect your next sets of aligners.
- One year: Most Invisalign treatment takes about one year to complete. There are some cases that require less time and others that need more time. Treatment time depends on what kind of misalignment is being corrected, how severe the problem is, and how well the patient complies with wearing the aligners.
Some of the Many Benefits of Invisalign
Every patient is interested in Invisalign for their own personal reasons. When it comes to Invisalign 101, the most common elements that draw people to this cosmetic dentistry treatment include:
- Discretion: Braces that aren’t noticeable? At all? That’s Invisalign. You can live, work, and play without anyone knowing you have aligners in your mouth thanks to their super-thin, clear design.
- Freedom: Even though Invisalign must be in your mouth for the bulk of every day, you still maintain the freedom to remove the trays whenever you want. Plus, there are no food restrictions like traditional braces wearers have.
- Versatility: Adults and teens alike can be good candidates for Invisalign. The treatment works the same way for both age groups, though adolescents will also have wear indicators and tooth eruption tabs to make room for developing adult teeth. No matter who has these trays, they enjoy their normal life without any major interruptions.
- Ease of use: Invisalign doesn’t require much heavy lifting. Daily wear makes up the bulk of your responsibility as a patient, the rest of the time the trays should be stored in their case while you eat. Cleaning too is simple, requiring only normal brushing and flossing and a small bit of extra time to clean the aligners.
- Comfort: The brackets and wires of conventional braces can often be painful, digging into the wearer’s soft tissues. Invisalign trays are smooth and comfortable. They fit snugly in place and will not snag the cheeks or lips.
Are You a Good Candidate for Invisalign?
The only way to know if you’re a good candidate for Invisalign is to schedule a consultation with your Los Angeles Invisalign provider at Downtown Dental. Undergoing a dental exam and having digital images taken will let your cosmetic dentist known whether this treatment is appropriate to repair the misaligned, crooked, or gapped teeth you’re living with.
Contact our dental office today to schedule your consultation. Find out if Invisalign is right for you.
Dr. Don Mungcal
Dr. Tara Mavadat
Dr. Ivan Chan
With over 28 years of experience and service, Dr. Mungcal makes it his responsibility to be the best version of himself by being his patients’ go-to point for any and all dental concerns. In addition to being meticulous in his work ethic, he is also an individual who understands development and change. He updates and informs himself constantly through various continuous educational programs that he undertakes. He also invests in the latest state-of-the-art technology to provide world-class dental services.
Dr. Mungcal graduated from UCLA and the University of the Pacific Dental School and is presently a member of several acclaimed medical associations, including the California Dental Society.
Dr. Tara Mavadat was always passionate about dentistry and is committed to helping patients achieve excellent oral health and beautiful smiles that last long. Having earned her Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from the University of the Pacific Dugoni School of Dentistry, she focuses on comprehensive general dentistry with an emphasis on preventive dentistry. Her primary goals are to provide comfort and quality as well as exceptional esthetic outcomes to every patient.
Dr. Ivan Chan is enthusiastic about dentistry and his patients' oral health and is dedicated to providing compassionate and effective care. He is a highly skilled dentist who received his undergraduate degree from the University of California, San Diego. He earned his Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) at the University of California, San Francisco School of Dentistry.
Dr. Chan has extensive training in general dentistry. He focuses on creating lasting smiles while attempting to prevent gum disease and cavities. He looks forward to assisting you with all your needs while assuring you that your trust is always in good hands, regardless of your needs!