You have taken a big step toward improving the appearance of your smile and boosting your self-confidence by deciding to get porcelain veneers. Cosmetic dentist in Los Angeles, CA, Dr. Don Mungcal, shares these tips to help you enjoy your new smile for many years.
What to do
- Practice good home oral hygiene. In Dr. Mungcal’s experienced hands, veneers are very dependable. However, national statistics show that about six percent of veneer failures are related to tooth decay, and 13 percent to gum disease. Brush at least two times a day with non-abrasive, fluoride toothpaste and a soft toothbrush. Give extra attention to the margin, where veneers meet the gum line. Floss gently but thoroughly before bedtime.
- Wear a mouth guard if you participate in contact sports. A night guard will shield your teeth and veneers from excessive clenching or grinding during sleep. If you are a severe bruxer, Dr. Mungcal may suggest alternatives to porcelain veneers.
What to avoid
- Aggressive brushing. It can cause gum recession.
- Whitening toothpaste. It is abrasive and will scratch porcelain.
- Excessive force. Keep fingernails, pens, ice, and other hard objects out of your mouth. Avoid biting directly into very hard foods, such as raw carrots.
- Temperature extremes. It is a good ideal to drink icy beverages with a straw, and let hot drinks cool a little to spare your veneers the stress of rapid expansion and contraction.
- Staining beverages. Porcelain resists stains, but the cement that bonds your veneers in place may pick up pigments from coffee, tea, red wine, or cola.
- Tobacco. Smoking and smokeless tobacco stain teeth and veneer cement and contributes to gum disease and oral cancers.
The team at Downtown Dental in Los Angeles, CA is confident you will be pleased with your new smile. We’ll do all we can to help you keep it brilliant and healthy. Call us at 213-863-9464 for more information on porcelain veneers.
Share this Article
Dr. Don Mungcal
Dr. Tara Mavadat
Dr. Ivan Chan
As the cornerstone and founder of Downtown Dental, Dr. Don Mungcal
is a proactive and
exceptionally talented dentist who is determined to contribute to the health and wellbeing of his community by
attending to their dental care needs.
With over 28 years of experience and service, Dr. Mungcal
makes it his responsibility to
be the best version of himself by being his patients’ go-to point for any and all dental concerns. In addition
to being meticulous in his work ethic, he is also an individual who understands development and change. He
updates and informs himself constantly through various continuous educational programs that he undertakes. He
also invests in the latest state-of-the-art technology to provide world-class dental services.
graduated from UCLA
and the University of the Pacific Dental
and is presently a member of several acclaimed medical associations, including the California Dental Society
Dr. Tara Mavadat
was always passionate about
dentistry and is committed to helping patients achieve excellent oral health and beautiful smiles that last
long. Having earned her Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from the University of the Pacific Dugoni School of
Dentistry, she focuses on comprehensive general dentistry with an emphasis on preventive dentistry. Her primary
goals are to provide comfort and quality as well as exceptional esthetic outcomes to every patient.
Dr. Ivan Chan
is enthusiastic about dentistry
and his patients' oral health and is dedicated to providing compassionate and effective care. He is a highly
skilled dentist who received his undergraduate degree from the University of California, San Diego. He earned
his Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) at the University of California, San Francisco School of Dentistry.
Dr. Chan has extensive training in general dentistry. He focuses on creating lasting smiles while attempting to
prevent gum disease and cavities. He looks forward to assisting you with all your needs while assuring you that
your trust is always in good hands, regardless of your needs!