Count yourself lucky if you go to the dentist without giving it a second thought. For some people, seeing a dentist is enough to make their heart skip a beat, making them miss dental appointments, resulting in oral health problems, including tooth decay, periodontal disease, and even tooth loss!
Fortunately, Downtown Dental in Los Angeles, California, offers sleep sedation dentistry to help you overcome dental fear for an anxiety-free dental experience. If you have been avoiding your dentist because of dental anxiety, call Dr. Don Mungcal to incorporate sedation dentistry in your dental care.
The top benefits of sedation dentistry
Dental fear can stem from several factors, including past negative experiences, low pain tolerance, loss of control, fear of injections, etc. It can range from mild uneasiness to extreme panic. Dr. Mungcal uses IV and oral conscious sedation to manage dental anxiety, providing a more comfortable experience.
The benefits of sedation dentistry include:
- Anxiety relief: Sedation dentistry eliminates anxiety and keeps patients comfortable to help them undergo procedures they previously avoided
- Better oral health: Patients with dental fear avoid dental appointments altogether or only see a dentist when there are obvious problems like tooth pain. Sedation dentistry helps patients adhere to routine dental check-ups, which improves their dental health and overall well-being
- Time-saving: When comfortably seated in the dental chair, your dentist can complete complex treatments within a single appointment. Sedation dentistry also makes time-consuming procedures more tolerable. In fact, some patients rarely remember the procedure, despite the treatment going on for hours
- Reduced gag reflex: The gag reflex is good, but when it prevents the dentist from working on your mouth, there is a problem. Sedation dentistry temporarily paralyzes your gag reflex to help the dentist work faster on you while you remain comfortable
- Eliminates pain: Sedatives “trick” your brain not to register pain, making your treatment pain-free. No pain and discomfort create a positive dental experience for more regular visits in the future
- Suitable for almost all patients: Sedation dentistry can accommodate patients of different ages and those with various medical conditions. It’s also safe to use for patients with special needs
Been putting off dental appointments because of fear of the dentist?
Give us a call at (213) 421-0807 to get your healthy smile back. Dr. Don Mungcal uses sedation dentistry to overcome dental anxiety for stress-free dental visits.
Share this Article
Dr. Don Mungcal
Dr. Tara Mavadat
Dr. Ivan Chan
As the cornerstone and founder of Downtown Dental, Dr. Don Mungcal
is a proactive and
exceptionally talented dentist who is determined to contribute to the health and wellbeing of his community by
attending to their dental care needs.
With over 28 years of experience and service, Dr. Mungcal
makes it his responsibility to
be the best version of himself by being his patients’ go-to point for any and all dental concerns. In addition
to being meticulous in his work ethic, he is also an individual who understands development and change. He
updates and informs himself constantly through various continuous educational programs that he undertakes. He
also invests in the latest state-of-the-art technology to provide world-class dental services.
graduated from UCLA
and the University of the Pacific Dental
and is presently a member of several acclaimed medical associations, including the California Dental Society
Dr. Tara Mavadat
was always passionate about
dentistry and is committed to helping patients achieve excellent oral health and beautiful smiles that last
long. Having earned her Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from the University of the Pacific Dugoni School of
Dentistry, she focuses on comprehensive general dentistry with an emphasis on preventive dentistry. Her primary
goals are to provide comfort and quality as well as exceptional esthetic outcomes to every patient.
Dr. Ivan Chan
is enthusiastic about dentistry
and his patients' oral health and is dedicated to providing compassionate and effective care. He is a highly
skilled dentist who received his undergraduate degree from the University of California, San Diego. He earned
his Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) at the University of California, San Francisco School of Dentistry.
Dr. Chan has extensive training in general dentistry. He focuses on creating lasting smiles while attempting to
prevent gum disease and cavities. He looks forward to assisting you with all your needs while assuring you that
your trust is always in good hands, regardless of your needs!