Today’s comprehensive dental care encompasses far more than just teeth. Cutting edge dental practices are now offering treatment for complex conditions relating to the oral structure. Dr. Don Mungcal, of Downtown Dental, is one of a handful of dentists who have the skills to diagnose and treat TMD (temporomandibular joint disorder). He has brought relief to countless patients in the Los Angeles and West Hollywood area. Some even travel great distances to benefit from Dr. Mungcal’s expertise.
TMD is a dysfunction of the jaw joint, which affects millions of people around the world. It can be difficult for untrained doctors and dentists to recognize, because the causes and symptoms vary widely. Any problem with either jaw joint can result in chronic pain and limited functionality of the both jaws.
Some of the most common conditions that can cause temporary or permanent damage to the joints include:
- Biting fingernails, habitually chewing gum, or other habits that put constant or frequent strain on the jaws.
- Bruxism (clenching or grinding teeth) can occur in times of stress, or while you are sleeping. It puts undue force of the joints and causes muscles to become overly tense.
- Misaligned teeth, known as malocclusion, prevent your jaw from closing naturally.
- Damaged, painful, or missing teeth can cause you to chew with only one side of your mouth. This imbalanced force creates stress on the jaws.
- Any facial injury has potential to damage these fragile joints, even if you are unaware of it at the time.
- Degenerative diseases, most commonly arthritis, can cause a gradual deterioration of the joints, with progressively worsening symptoms.
- Simple habits such as holding the telephone between your head and shoulder can exacerbate the symptoms.
In many cases, TMD is caused by a combination of factors, further complicating the condition. Dr. Mungcal uses advanced diagnostics to pinpoint the cause of your pain. He then devises a customized treatment plan to bring lasting relief.
TMD pain can be debilitating, and poor quality treatment can actually make it worse. Don’t trust your health and wellbeing to less than the best. Throughout the process, you can enjoy our exceptional customer service, with flexible scheduling, validated parking, and punctual service. Call Downtown Dental at 213-863-9464 and schedule an appointment today!