The preferred method of replacing lost teeth has changed significantly over the years. As technologies have improved, dental patients have more options than ever to restore their healthiest, most beautiful smiles. With the emergence of dental implants, it is now possible to restore function and beauty permanently after the loss of a single tooth, several teeth, or all remaining teeth. In our downtown LA practice, we want our patients to receive the full benefit of healing after the placement of dental implants. To facilitate success, we make ourselves available for all of your questions, and provide information for post-operative care.
Giving yourself every encouragement to heal comes from:
- Rest. Our bodies are designed to heal themselves, but with certain special needs. Following oral surgery, patients tend to feel quite well. So much so that some return to work or normal activity the following day. It is important, during the days and weeks post-surgery, to listen to your body. Take extra care to get ample rest when necessary. Doing so will equip your body with the necessities for optimal healing.
- Medication. Prescription pain medication may be offered following a procedure such as dental implants. Even those who try to avoid prescription medications could benefit from filling the prescription just in case. Often, the pain and swelling that comes after the implant procedure is manageable with over-the-counter medications, but it is beneficial to have the most suitable pain relievers on hand if needed.
- Salt-water rinses have been known to decrease swelling and pain after oral surgery. One teaspoon of salt dissolved in one cup of warm water and swished gently, can be done three times a day as long as necessary.
- Gentle cleansing is recommended to keep bacterial activity at a minimum. However, when gum tissue is sore, brushing may not seem a pleasant chore. Speak with your dentist if brushing is uncomfortable, and we will make every effort to find alternative solutions to suit your needs.
- A soft food diet is ideal while gum tissue is healing. Every person is different in terms of how quickly optimal chewing is restored. Allowing the body the time it needs, you may want to stock up on soups, yogurt, soft fruits, vegetable juice, puddings, and shakes. Add favored foods as you feel gums will tolerate them.
The body has an amazing ability to heal, a trait that is amplified when we listen to its needs and offer extra TLC when needed.
Contact Downtown Dental for more information on dental implants.