We are hearing mention of dental implants in the area of tooth restoration more often, when, in the past, this was a job for dentures or a dental bridge. Implants consist of small posts of titanium, which are surgically inserted into healthy bone tissue beneath the gums in an uncomplicated, painless procedure. Within a few months, bone tissue will fuse around implant posts and be ready to support artificial teeth for full function. This “waiting period” may seem unnecessary when there are quicker solutions available in the Los Angeles area, but there are ample reasons why titanium dental implants are the treatment of choice for many people.
The fact that the entire process takes several months to complete should not be confused with multiple dental appointments or complicated procedures. The first procedure, in which implants are placed, is neither long nor painful. Each implant is carefully inserted with a gentle hand. For added protection, a temporary restoration may be situated on top of the implant, or the post will be hidden underneath gum tissue where it will not be disturbed. For the first few days following this initial surgery, mild discomfort and swelling may occur, feeling similar to a tooth extraction. During the healing time, after implants have been positioned the bone cells fuse to the post in the osseointegration process. Once this occurs, you are ready for your beautiful new teeth.
Dental implants as the foundation for artificial teeth improve the smile in several ways, including:
- A level of stability found only with natural teeth, allowing you to consume any foods you wish without concern. In contrast, a standard denture is known to be less stable for biting and chewing, often rubbing or even falling out during meals.
- Full confidence in speaking and smiling, laughing, singing, or other tasks is possible with an implant.
- Preservation of bone tissue, which supports not only chewing but also facial contours. Bone tissue requires stimulation, which it naturally gets from teeth and their roots. Without this stimulation, bone tissue is resorbed over time. As this occurs, the face takes on a “sunken” appearance. Because implants are in the jawbone, necessary stimulation is provided and a youthful aesthetic is maintained.
- Improved oral health without special care. Dental implants and tooth restorations will not develop cavities or disease, so oral hygiene remains the same. The goal of brushing and flossing with dental implants is to remove harmful bacteria that can cause gum disease, as gum tissue is necessary to support implants.
- Unlike other restorative procedures that can require replacement over the years, dental implants last a lifetime.
Most people find dental implants to be the ideal solution for missing teeth. Your downtown Los Angeles dentist understands that every person is different, and offers options to meet your specific needs.
Missing teeth do not have to impact your wellbeing. Contact Downtown Dental to learn more about your tooth replacement options.