If tooth decay or trauma has left “gaps” in your smile, you may feel dejected, but you don’t have to live the rest of your life with that gap. In Los Angeles, California, dental implants from Downtown Dental are a welcome relief for patients who have missing teeth or wear uncomfortable dentures that may be cumbersome to maintain.
But what goes into the dental implant placement process? Is the treatment painful? A flurry of questions might clog your mind every time you are about to undergo a dental procedure. Keeping well informed about the treatment beforehand alleviates fears and helps you get the most out of the process.
The dental implant process
Dental implant placement is a multi-stage process that can take several months to place a solid tooth-root-like metal base into the gums. Every patient has a different time frame for the treatment depending on their case – so we always like to help manage your expectations ahead of time – no surprises! Here are the steps involved in the process.
- Consultation: The first step involves a consultation with Dr. Don Mungcal. Here, your dentist explains the implant process and answers any questions you might have about the procedure. Next, Dr. Mungcal evaluates your jawbone to determine if you have sufficient bone to support an implant. If not, we can perform a bone graft (adding natural, healthy bone tissue to the area) to give you the support necessary to place and keep that implant.
- Tooth removal: Dental implants act as tooth roots to support a crown or bridge. As such, an implant needs space to be positioned. If you have a severely damaged or decayed tooth, we have to remove it first.
- Dental implant surgery: This is the step that most people are jittery about because it’s “invasive.” It sounds scary – yes. However, we use anesthesia and other gentle techniques to make the process painless, fast, and comfortable.
- After installation, it will take about seven months for the implant to fuse with the jawbone. The result is a firmly placed implant that can support a crown. And your bite!
- Abutment placement: Since the implant is beneath the gum line, an abutment is a piece screwed onto the implant. We then cement your crown onto this abutment. Simply put, an abutment adds length to the implant and acts as a shock absorber when you chew or bite.
- Permanent restoration: Finally, the most rewarding stage is placing a crown, bridge, or dentures to complete your tooth restoration.
While the dental implant process may take several months, the result is well worth the wait. You will get a tooth replacement that acts and feels like the original tooth, lasts longer, and helps preserve the overall health of your teeth and gums much better than traditional bridges and dentures!
Dental implant dentist in Los Angeles, California
Are you looking for a dental implant dentist in Los Angeles, CA? Please dial 213-863-9464 to book an appointment with Downtown Dental. Dr. Don Mungcal and his team will install high-quality dental implants to replace your teeth permanently.
Share this Article
Dr. Don Mungcal
Dr. Tara Mavadat
Dr. Ivan Chan
As the cornerstone and founder of Downtown Dental, Dr. Don Mungcal
is a proactive and
exceptionally talented dentist who is determined to contribute to the health and wellbeing of his community by
attending to their dental care needs.
With over 28 years of experience and service, Dr. Mungcal
makes it his responsibility to
be the best version of himself by being his patients’ go-to point for any and all dental concerns. In addition
to being meticulous in his work ethic, he is also an individual who understands development and change. He
updates and informs himself constantly through various continuous educational programs that he undertakes. He
also invests in the latest state-of-the-art technology to provide world-class dental services.
graduated from UCLA
and the University of the Pacific Dental
and is presently a member of several acclaimed medical associations, including the California Dental Society
Dr. Tara Mavadat
was always passionate about
dentistry and is committed to helping patients achieve excellent oral health and beautiful smiles that last
long. Having earned her Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from the University of the Pacific Dugoni School of
Dentistry, she focuses on comprehensive general dentistry with an emphasis on preventive dentistry. Her primary
goals are to provide comfort and quality as well as exceptional esthetic outcomes to every patient.
Dr. Ivan Chan
is enthusiastic about dentistry
and his patients' oral health and is dedicated to providing compassionate and effective care. He is a highly
skilled dentist who received his undergraduate degree from the University of California, San Diego. He earned
his Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) at the University of California, San Francisco School of Dentistry.
Dr. Chan has extensive training in general dentistry. He focuses on creating lasting smiles while attempting to
prevent gum disease and cavities. He looks forward to assisting you with all your needs while assuring you that
your trust is always in good hands, regardless of your needs!