Trusted Los Angeles, CA, dental practice offers oral surgery recovery tips
When patients learn they need an oral surgery procedure, they often focus most of their research and concern on preparing for the appointment. However, whether the procedure is an extraction, a dental implant, or another treatment, it’s important to plan for your recovery as well. Dr. Don Mungcal of Downtown Dental in Los Angeles, CA, helps patients understand what to expect following your dental surgery.
- Bleeding– If you had a tooth extraction, you should expect some slight bleeding for the first day. You can use the gauze provided by your dental practice and bite down firmly to stop the bleeding.
- Swelling– It is common to notice some inflammation around the surgical area. To minimize the swelling, keep your head elevated and use an icepack on the outside of your cheek. The swelling should be gone within a week of the surgery. You may also notice stiffness, discomfort, and bruising for approximately a week.
- Medications– Prescription and over-the-counter medications should be ordered or picked up immediately following the procedure. These medications will ensure that you don’t get an infection and keep your pain and discomfort to a minimum. Follow the instructions from your dentist, but in many cases, you will want to keep up with the pain medication as directed, even before the pain becomes severe.
- Rest– Keep in mind that your mouth, and body, have just been through a surgical procedure. You should plan for a couple of restful days following surgery to allow your mouth to heal. You should be able to resume normal daily activities in two to three days, but consult your dentist before taking on any intense physical activities.
- Oral hygiene– Take care when brushing and flossing in the first days after surgery. You should also avoid vigorous rinsing or spitting for at least 24 hours, as this can disrupt the sutures in the mouth. After the first day, you can rinse gently with a salt water solution.
For more information about what to expect following your oral surgery procedure, call Dr. Mungcal at 213-863-9464.