Having a gap in your smile can be damaging to your self-confidence. Unfortunately permanent teeth are not always permanent. Not following good oral hygiene practices can cause decay, bacteria can cause disease, or even taking a foul ball to the mouth can cause tooth loss. When that happens, patients in Los Angeles, CA, have several options for replacing a missing tooth, or teeth.
Dental implants are fast becoming the option of choice for the dentistry industry as the results most closely resemble the natural tooth. Dr. Don Mungcal of Downtown Dental offers the following advantages that dental implants offer over options such as dentures, crowns, or bridges.
- Implants are permanent. A dental implant is essentially a titanium metal rod that is placed directly into your jawbone. Most patients typically feel no swelling or pain afterwards because there are minimal nerves in the bone. The jawbone then slowly fuses itself to the post. When that process is complete, an artificial tooth is placed on the post. With the right care – such as proper brushing and regular dental visits as well as avoiding unhealthy habits such as chewing on ice, or using your teeth to open packages –it’s possible that the replacement can last forever.
- Implants keep your surrounding teeth healthy. When performing some replacement tooth procedures, the surrounding teeth must be modified or filed to create space for a new appliance to fit. However, during the implant procedure, the surrounding teeth remain untouched. Additionally, replacing the missing tooth keeps the nearby teeth from shifting and helps your mouth and face retain its shape.
- Implants look completely natural. Each implant is created uniquely for you. It will be an exact match in shade and shape of your surrounding teeth, leaving the fact that you have a replacement tooth a secret between you and Dr. Mungcal.
- Implants function almost exactly like your natural teeth. After the implant has healed, it will be as secure and as strong as your original teeth. No foods will be off limits and your speech will not be affected. Conversely, anything that will break a natural tooth will break an implant. Common sense is the rule to make them last.
- Implants are comfortable. Although the process will require several trips to the dentist over the course of several months, once the implant is in place it’s there to stay. There will be no slipping and no readjusting. The process itself is painless as Dr. Mungcal will be sure to use the appropriate form of anesthesia to keep you comfortable.
If you have a gap where a tooth used to be, don’t let it go unfixed. Call Dr. Mungcal of Downtown Dental to schedule an appointment to discuss your options. Dr. Mungcal knows that the appearance of your smile is important to how you look, and how you feel and he is committed to giving you back a smile that you can be proud of.